Thursday, October 15, 2009

The cruciality of caffeine in college



Ever had 8 cups of coffee + a diet doctor pepper? Well let me tell you from first hand experience, that the sensation is overwhelming. Mid-terms are this week, and therefore my nights and days consist of hardcore studying. This can lead to lack of sleep and extremely high stress. In order prevent complete mental and physical collapse, caffeine is crucial.

This morning started like every morning: Lethargic and torturous. The alarm begins to beep. Remember how my bed is lofted? My alarm is down on my desk. The good news is I have a remote that can put said alarm on snooze. Without opening my eyes, I fumble around searching for this remote. However, this only happens if the alarm actually wakes me. Often, the alarm will go on for more then fifteen minutes. If I do not hear it by then, I get a bitter, incoherent demand from Krista to shut my alarm off. Eventually, I am forced to walk my ladder, and face my doom.

Coffee Cups 1-2, 10:00am: Keep me warm as I walk through the biting wind to class.
Effect: slight change from zombie state to barely functioning human

Coffee Cups 3-4, 10:45am: Allow me to stay hydrated during class.
Effect: Prevents slippage into slumber during economics. Beginning to be jolted out of morning grog.

Coffee Cups 5-6, 12:30: Prepare for me round two of study session before exam
Effect: Mild leg shaking, acute mental alertness

Coffee Cups 7-8, 1:05: Trying to maintain the feeling of mental alertness, delaying the crash that should have occured fifteen minutes go.
Effect: Severe restless leg syndrome. Increased speed of verbal communication. Slight sense of euphoria

By the time I get to my midterm, I have got that pep in my step, and I am ready to go! The exam goes great, the studying really paid off, and the confidence I had in the end was all worth the 9 straight hours of studying. Much to my surprise, the caffeine crash had not hit me yet. It did not hit me until a couple hours ago when I was studying for my communications exam. I could see it coming, the brick wall that I was about to crash into at 90 miles per hour. The remedy? Diet Doctor Pepper. After imbibing this miracle drink, I open up my health book to see exactly how many milligrams of caffeine I actually had in my body. The final number came out to 801 mg. This number is not healthy. However, I was re-energized.

Though pumping your body full of caffeine is not good for you, it is crucial to get through these difficult times. Only one more day of this...

However, when you and your classmates functioning on artificial highs, silly things tend to happen:

1) As I walked in my socks downstairs to get my laundry, with the added hop to my step, I found myself falling down 4 stairs, then slipping on the ground below.
2) Krista "I have tuscan, jew camps, and fraternal twins written down"
Will "like the tuscany in italy?"
Me "OH, Tuscan Arizona!"
3) While making coffee cups 5-8, I had forgotten to actually turn off the coffee maker, in result, when I poured the water into the maker, it went right to the hot part, creating massive amounts of steam. Drastic measures were taken by Krista and I in order to prevent the fire alarm from sounding.


No comments:

Post a Comment